Hello there! So if you can’t tell, I love cinnamon buns (check out my post on Dairy-Free cinnamon buns here). I found this recipe from one of those mini Facebook baking videos (linked here), and immediately saved the video, knowing I’d want to make them when I had time.
The video called for orange cinnamon buns, but since I’m allergic to dairy and was making everything from scratch, I just went with normal cinnamon buns.
I used a cake recipe from a book we have called Kids Baking from Williams-Sonoma, which I’ll copy below. For the cinnamon bun, I used the same dairy free recipe as before. Basically, you make the cupcakes and you put them in the oven for 7-8 minutes. Then, you take them out and put the cinnamon buns on top (you’ll need to cut the cinnamon buns a bit smaller than you normally would). After that, you bake the whole dessert until the cupcakes and the cinnamon buns are evenly cooked.
Lastly, you drizzle cinnamon bun icing on top and it’s finished!
I love how these turned out; they are so tasty!! I hope this has inspired you to go out and try it for yourself: I promise you won’t regret it!
If you have the book, it’s the birthday cake recipe!
All-purpose flour 2-1/4 cups
Baking powder 1 tablespoon
Salt 1/4 teaspoon
Butter 3/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks), at room temperature
Sugar 1-3/4 cups
Vanilla Extract 2 teaspoons
Large Eggs 3
Milk 1-1/3 cups
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Spray the cupcake tins, or put in cupcake liners
- Mix the dry ingredients
- Put the flour, baking powder, and salt into the sifter and sift into one of the medium bowls.
- Make the batter
- In the large bowl, using the electric mixer on medium speed, beat the butter, sugar, and vanilla for about 3 minutes, until creamy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each one is added.
- Add about one-third of the flour mixture, and mix on low speed just until blended. Pour in 2/3 cup of the milk and mix just until blended.
- Repeat, adding about one-third of the flour, the remaining 2/3 cup of the milk, and then the rest of the flour, mixing after each addition just until blended.
- Fill the cupcake tins
- Bake the cupcakes for 7-8 minutes before adding the cinnamon buns*
*I made the cinnamon buns and had them ready before I put the cupcakes in the oven.